Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'm a College Drop-Out.

And I feel so free!

So, yeah, I dropped all of my classes today. Inner turmoil over attacking my first ten-page paper of the semester began plaguing me as soon as I read my syllabus. I couldn't bring myself to even attempt it because, sadly, I didn't freakin' want to. Yesterday, I finally confronted myself and analyzed the situation. I didn't want to be a quitter simply because graduate school was a challenge. I didn't want to be a quitter simply because sometimes I'm lazy and don't want to read a book about counseling ethics. So, I didn't want to give myself the easy way out. That's not how I roll. I quit because I want to be the best wife and mom I can (through Christ obviously) and I had to be honest that I couldn't continue to do that and also be successful at the student thing. I hate that I can't, but I honestly don't know how anybody else is able to do it either. Something or someone has to be compromised, just like it would if I had a job instead of staying at home. I know that God has given me a specific vision, but His timing is different than mine. I must rest easy in that and not try to do things in my own power. With constant due dates, I felt like I was walking around with a fog hanging over my head all of the time. I feel almost guilty saying that I quit simply because I did not want to deal with the stress of it anymore, as I know there are so many stressed-out people these days. But mine was self-induced. (so is a lot of other people's for that matter) Anyways, it's not fair to my kids for me to be in a bad mood because I'm dreading a paper. They are only this age for a vapor, and I want to enjoy them and for them to have memories of a peaceful home with a mom who loved her family without being constantly distracted. So, I am really excited about marking out all of the due dates in my calendar, and doing nothing but being momma and wife, and serving whomever God may put in my path.

9 shout outs:

Unknown said...

I can picture you smiling (and maybe dancing a little) as you mark those dates off the calendar. Maybe you'll start up again someday...or maybe God just wanted to see if you'd take it on in the first place...maybe you took it on to feel like you were accomplishing something at home until you saw the real accomplishments were actually being hindered by that. Who knows? But you can't go wrong making a decision that God leads you to and it's an easy one when it makes it better on you, your husband, your kids, and your friends that want to get together more without hearing you can't because of some freakin' paper, right? So go ahead, throw those papers into the air, shake your hair around, and do the 'runnin man' in the middle of your purple kitchen with your kids giggling and doing it with you!

Summer said...

lol how did you know my favorite dance move was the runnin man? and yeah I do sooo dance in my purple kitchen Thanks for the comment

... said...

Congrats on dropping out! Yep! Congrats! I think you made a great choice...coming from another college drop out (me 13 yrs ago). It was the heaviest weight ever that was lifted when I finally quit. I knew I didn't want to go, and was going to make my dad happy! Not a good reason. No regrets here! Enjoy those beautiful children. You are a great mom and I am sure wife too!

Jessica said...

lol, I could totally see you smiling and dancing while you marked those dates off the calendar, I know I would be! Enjoy your new freedom with no papers!!!! :)

Unknown said...

BTW...I love the weekly pics, but would you please put some clothes on that boy sometimes!? He'll look back on those someday and be like, 'Mom, did y'all ever buy me any clothes?'

Summer said...

Scott - haha very funny. Just so you know he is the one who rips them off. Let's hope that he will grow out of that as he ages....lol

Unknown said...

Has Graham?

ishadohn said...

Well...as a mother who tried the whole stay at home thing for awhile I would just like to say Congrats! It's so much harder than anyone really ever knows until they do it. It's not that its hard to stay with your children who you love and adore. The hard part is giving up adult conversation for hours at a time. For no social interaction with someone over the age of 5. For losing your identiy for a period in your life and only being known for the most part as "mom."
But oh the benifits...I mean there is nothing like seeing your child having the time of their little life playing in the mud, or with paint! Those hugs in the middle of the day for no reason. (the ones you'd miss if they were in daycare!) The tuna salad lunches lol. I mean there are memories you are making with them they will have forever...
You are my friend...Ragingawesome!
And you can always finish up learning how "everyone" is insane in their own way later lol.
Shoot we're still young and have lots left to do and learn. Take the time now to "learn" your babies!
Love you sweetie-pie sugar pumpkinbutt lol muah!

Unknown said...

Oh, and in spite of it all, I've gone back 3 times and dropped out after one class each time...lol. I went to Southwestern for a second master's and twice back to MSU to get enough accounting hours to take the CPA exam...yeah, I just need 21 undergrad hours, and just couldn't make myself do it...don't know if it was the hours or the thought of being a boring CPA...