Sunday, May 6, 2007

Baggage and Tracks

Part of my volunteer job at the Pregnancy Center is being on the Abstinence speaking team in which I do a little skit/monologue. The skit(written, directed and starred in by me! lol) voices the thoughts of a bride walking down the aisle toward her groom. As she remembers various relationships she has had in her life, she picks up a piece of luggage that symbolizes the impact of that particular guy; by the time she gets to her groom she is so emotionally weighed down with "baggage" that she refuses to go through with the wedding. This made me think about the fact that each relationship we have in life, whether intimate or otherwise, has an impact on us as well as the other person involved. What kind of baggage am I leaving or have I left with other people? I can remember friends as far back as 2nd grade that have in some way left a piece of themselves or an impression of who they are with me. It makes me wonder what did I leave with them? Is it positive or has it caused some sort of deficit in their life? I think we should try our best to leave our best with people with whom we come in contact, especially as Christians, as we should be the "light" of the world. This is not always easy because sometimes it means swallowing our pride and keeping our mouth shut, or sacrificing our own wants for somebody elses. My new goal is to enhance whatever environment I am in; I want to be a reflection of Jesus, to be His hands and feet. I do not want to be a person who when she leaves everybody breathes a sigh of relief because I have been weighing others down with my baggage which can be in forms of criticalness, selfishness, or just a flat-out sorry attitude(which I am guilty of often). I want my friends and family to be glad I am there, you know "Yea Summer's here!" lol Most of the time this is much easier said than done because so often we are thinking only of ourself rather than how we are being perceived by others. We watched a play last night about the "tracks" we leave behind. Not only do I want to be able to look back and remember with fondness the tracks I left behind, but I also want others to look at me and my life and see the tracks of Jesus.

3 shout outs:

Unknown said...

wow...yeah, that is more true to me now than i ever realized before. i went to 10 different schools growing up and was probably forgotten before the first day of school the next year. i didn't pick up any longtime friends until i was in high school, and i'm not really that close to them. now, all of a sudden, i've lived in the same place for over 10 years, i've been married for 11 years, i've been a dad for 9 years, and i have a job that is very impressionable. i've probably left more impression (or tracks) with people in the 10 years, than i ever thought about in the 22 years before that--which means i'm also doing it as a 'rookie' in the laying track department--scary, God help me...lol.

Wendy said...

Hey Summer!
I think you're leaving great tracks-look at the work you've done as a teacher and now with the client/students, and don't you teach Sunday school?. I think God is smiling at you, sister!

BTW, I get excited when it's your day at the center! My heart says, "Summer's here! Yay!".

OT-ummm, is that Isha? Wow. She's changed a bit since I saw here like 12-15 years ago (Hi Isha!).

ishadohn said...

well I do agree with all you've said here! lol I wish I always left a great impression on everyone I've ever come into contact with ...but sadly thats not the case! ...you know there is that one lady in the supermarket that I had an argeument with over whaaa? milk thats what soooo stupid yeah I mean I'd like to think that now I would just say to her "yeah ok lady whatever you say!" and gave into her because did it really matter about the milk? NO! it didnt and what does she think about me everytime she sees me ....that I'm a HAG!!! I'm sure!
lol wow so stupid ...I hate that I did that! and the baggage thing!!! We all have it and yeah I think mine has gotten at bigger lately! Geez...All I know is that I'm so thankful for the people in my life that love me for me ....no matter what I've done or will do! People like you! Thank you for all you are to me and the Tracks you have left in my life!!! Love ya girl!