Tuesday, May 8, 2007

My Miracle

A year ago this month my life changed. Something happened that I had been praying to happen for about ten years. God changed Graham's heart, not that he wasn't saved. (after all he was raised Baptist, lol) But we didn't really share the same vision for our family and our life in general. Graham's always been a good man; in fact, I know you cannot find another man with a bigger heart than him. And, I knew if he ever gave himself completely to the Lord that his passion for serving God would be contagious, inspiring, and unstoppable. And that's all I wanted! But the way I went about trying to get it was through nagging, demanding, manipulating, condemning, yeah, not pretty at all, and not at all the "Christian" way of inspiring change! I finally became desperate because I wanted us to be able share a serious love for the Lord together and I had cried out to God for it for so long and I just felt like it was never going to happen. I could not see with my human eyes how it could ever happen because Graham was perfectly content with our life. He did not see a need for change. I was nagging Graham one night about when he was ever going to go to church with me. God stopped me in my tracks. He said why are you asking Graham; he doesn't have the answers. He said delight yourself in me and I will give you the desires of your heart. I thought okay, well that's nothing new. I mean we've heard that verse our whole lives, but did I really understand what it meant. So, I began to analyze it and realized that to delight in God means simply to make Him happy. And you know what that made me do? It made me look at myself rather than at Graham. I realized that I could only get what I wanted if I worked on me, and I needed a lot of work! I had to ask myself how am I making God happy? Is my constant nagging and condemning of Graham making Him happy? God could not change my situation if I was not willing to change and give Him my all. So, I began to focus on trying to make Him happy in everything I did. I had to ask myself how big is my God? How real do I think He is? I realized that He really was my everything and that yes he cared about how every area of my life affected Him, including what TV shows I watched, what books I read, and what music I listened to. Instead of getting angry with Graham I would smile and under my breath quote scripture about the fact that man's anger does not bring about a righteous life. Instead of complaining when he wanted to go somewhere besides where I wanted him to, I would smile and say okay have a great time! It was not easy. But, I began to put being a Godly wife above my own fleshly wants. I still messed up because I am just plain ugly sometimes unfortunately! I don't know how God puts up with me in fact. But I made an effort to truly delight myself in Him. I prayed for Graham instead of arguing with him. God made it clear to me that He would not change my situation if I continued to try to control it myself. He basically asked do you trust me enough to let me bear this burden. In January of 2006 we began having a lifegroup in our home. Graham would usually find somewhere else to be, lol. But unknowingly to him and me they had made it a goal of theirs to pray for Graham. Anyway, we very spur-of-the-moment planned a short little lifegroup mission trip to Mexico in May of last year. We thought maybe we can convince Graham to go, as we planned to put a swingset together for an orphanage over there and Graham likes to work with his hands and help people! So, surprisingly it worked. He decided to go and the rest is history. I still am in amazement at the change God has made in my husband's life, and how quickly can and will move if you let Him. Graham is amazed as well. Just last night he said it's so strange that when used to I would have fleshly thoughts, now I sing praise songs. Now, on Sunday mornings he teaches a preschool class instead of clearing brush at his dads. Now, he goes to church without me! Now, when we have lifegroup, he is not only there but excited to share with the others. Now, instead of talking to people about the weather, he talks to them about Jesus. God truly changed the desires of Graham's heart. He has a true passion for God. He knows without a doubt that God is real and He is powerful. And I just feel honored and humbled that God loved me enough to hear my prayers, demand my obedience, and deliver my desires. I am not capable with my words to explain how God moves or to express how thankful I am for all He means to my life. I stand in awe of Him and him!

8 shout outs:

Anonymous said...

Summer, I just got on at the Center to read your blog. I also, think it is so awesome what God has done. I don't know Graham well at all, but from what I know of him now, it's hard to imagine him being any different. God is indeed a life changer!!

Wendy said...

Hey Summer,
I love this story. I actually pray often to God to "change _______ like you changed Graham." Very cool testimony.

BTW, teacher of the fine English language, how 'bout some paragraph breaks? lol. ;)

Summer said...

Yeah, paragraphs would have been good. But, I try not to tie myself down with too many rules these days. lol Thanks for y'alls comments. So glad I have friends who share my love for God.

Wendy said...

yeah, now if we just shared my love for rules, life would be peachy :) J/K I need people like you in my life, if nothing else, it encourages me greatly to see your blog didn't self destruct when you threw caution to the wind and ignored those pesky paragraph breaks. Way to be rebellious ;)

Looking forward to Friday!

Unknown said...

When I first started helping with the youth at Southside, I was 19 and Graham was a 17-year-old senior. One night, a group including me and some students prayed over the youth on the roll that did not come, and I remember them praying for Graham and have thought back to that everytime Isha would talk about you trying to get him to go to church (sad, as so many of the ones praying that night are so far from God right now themselves). I know I am very controlling when I feel confused or uncertain, and I appreciate the people that God has placed around me because in my human ignorance, I miss so much of what God has to say to me and I need the audible (or typed) voice of those people to be His voice to me. Thanks for being such great friends!

ishadohn said...

Summer I love you!!! I am so happy for you and what God has done for you and Graham...Remember that talk we had when I told you I was getting married? I do you told me you loved Graham and you knew you wanted to marry him you just knew he wasnt where you wanted him to be with the Lord. Well I know for almost 10 years well really longer than that you have been praying that! I also remember when I talked to you when you got back from Mexico and how happy and excited you were about what God had done in Graham's life! I cried! I knew it was what you were praying for and waiting on! I am so proud of you and the wife and mother you are! I thank God for a friend like you who loves me ...yeah even me a strange weirdo who is a mess! YAY! ok ok why am I so sappy???????? Gosh k k love!

Ty & Jonna said...

Hey Summer,

Wow, that is so awesome. Actually I think the correct phrase is ragingawesome!! It is all so true. Most of the time we just have to get out of God's way. I know I sure did with our marriage. When I got out of the way and just started focusing on being who God wanted me to be as Ty's wife instead of the way I thought Ty should be as Jonna's husband God moved mountains. That actually is convicting about some areas in my life right now. Thanks for sharing your ragingawesome story.

By the way my favorite catch phrase is "wag the dog." It means ahh whatever. Most things that we get so upset about on this earth are really so silly. I often think what if I found out today that I had six months to live. What then becomes the most important stuff? I promise it is not my messy house, the way Ty brushes his teeth (really really slowly), being cut off on the highway. Not even what seems like bigger problems would be important at that point. We often concern ourselves with such stupid stuff, and really is it important? So instead of getting upset I try to stay laid back about the silly stuff, I just say with a smile on my face, wag the dog. Focus on the really important stuff which actually isn't a big list, and for the rest just wag the dog.

That was a really long comment. Sorry.

Summer said...

Yeah Jonna! I like the way you roll, or is it role, no no it's def roll. Ahh, wag the dog anyway! lol.