Sunday, November 4, 2007

God gives...

Do you ever look at your kids? No, I mean really stop and breathe in every ounce of who God made them. Why do we get so busy that we forget to do this? I'm with mine pretty much 24/7, and I "overlook" them all of the time in lieu of homework, cleaning up, and general unimportant details. I don't want to. I want every day to be a day of standing in awe of what God has given me. My children's beauty and being often catches me off guard. It humbles me. Tucking Grayson in the other night I stared at him for the longest, telling him what a miracle he was. He kissed me as tears rolled down my face in thankfulness for what I do not deserve. It's as if God has to grab me by the shoulders sometimes and shake me and say "LOOK! They are what really matters in this life! Mother them as if you are mothering me!" If I was born for nothing else, I was born to be their mom and to be a wife to Graham. God has given me other things to "do," other people to love, but He always bring me back to Himself and then my little family for true contentment and joy. And that's what this week has been to me...a time of refreshing with my family. Graham was able to take off of work a few days, and we just hung out as a family. We had a picnic and silly fun at the park(some pics in sidebar). Friday we took Season to see the Bee Movie. Saturday the girls stayed busy at home, while the men did "men" things, you know burn stuff and build stuff. Graham and I even got to watch both of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies after the kids went to bed, and we finally booked a small vacation for our tenth anniversary.
This life bring ups and downs physically, emotionally, circumstantially. I do not want to take this "up" for granted. Because the truth is, it could all come crashing down tomorrow. This life is a vapor, as my husband often reminds me. And our God is no respecter of persons. Sorry, I don't intend to be a Debbie Downer, as my sister calls me, just a realist. So, yeah, I am thankful and overwhelmed by His blessings.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

2 shout outs:

Wendy said...

Summer, I love the changes to your blog, it looks great! Glad you lightened up your book list with some Where's Waldo!

About your topic, you are so right on. I was looking at my little baby last night thinking about how much WORK she is and realizing sometimes I don't see HER I just see the WORK. I've got a new challenge for the week :)

Have a raging awesome week-see you manana!

Unknown said...

That's awesome. Here's my problem...with my job and the way I do things, I want to work and plan and organize everything. Then, when something actually begins, I don't know how to enjoy it, and I'm just mentally ready for it to be over with in hopes that people enjoyed it and got something out of it. Well, that's what I'm guilty of doing with my kids too. I have them, and I want to establish a plan to get them raised right and for them to enjoy their childhood, and I get in a rush to get that done the best I can without enjoying it myself as we go...