Saturday, June 7, 2008

nicer/ smarter

Unfortunately, I am reminded everyday that I am a sinner saved by grace by the simple fact that the above statement shared by Mr. Bunny is my natural tendency. No, Mr. Ray Comfort, I am not a good person.

The love of Jesus is amazing. He watches us mess up again and again, and His love is just as overwhelming and unfailing the last time we fail as it was the first.

I, on the other hand, ask like Peter did, "uh, Lord, how many times do I have to watch people make the same mistake before I can just cross them off my list? How many times do I have to pretend that I believe the facade they present." And, He gently reminds me that He keeps me on His list.

1 Peter 4:7 says to be "clear minded and self-controlled so that [I] can pray." I cannot allow my mind to be infiltrated by resentfulness, confusion, or trying to figure out why people do what they do. I cannot act on my fleshly tendencies to want to behave in an unChrist-like manner based on what other people do. I have to pray for myself and others. I can't pray unless I am "clear-minded and self-controlled."

1 Peter 4:8 says "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." The Scripture doesn't give me a list of people I should love deeply, or "fervently" as the KJV says. Nope, I can't choose to love only certain people. I am just called to love. In loving like Jesus, we cover over sin!? Wow. The love of Jesus is perfect. It is, as Shelly read in Lifegroup, 1Corinthians 13. The question is not can I do it, but will I do it? (Because His Word says I can) If I want perfect peace, If I want to see my brothers and sisters in Christ in perfect peace, I have to love. I have to constantly lay my natural tendencies at His feet because He is searching my heart and my mind and He, the almighty God of everything, the One who truly covers over my sin, He knows my motives (1Chronicles28:9) He sees right through the facade. That strikes the fear of God in me.

10 shout outs:

Unknown said...

I've typed and deleted 5 responses to this. All I can really say though is that when it comes to people in general, you can't ignore Proverbs 13:20, and when it comes to those closer to you, it's just...hard.

Wendy said...

Dangit, Summer, are you talking about me? I can't be all spiritual like you & Scott when I'm worried that it's me you want to cross off your list (I am the chief sinner, as you know)...

I'm sure there are a lot of spiritual truths related to being messed up when focused on me.

Unknown said...

uh, I never claimed to make the list to begin with...lol.

Tefertiller Tribe said...

rich

Wendy said...

Oh, Scott, you're right-that was a big assumption I made! At least if we never made her list, there's no pressure to stay on it!

Summer said...

Just so you know, there was never, nor will there ever be a list. it's a theoretical list, i think. And if there were an actual Summer-list, I wouldn't even be on it. Which is my point exactly. Although, even if the list is theoretical, you should still strive to stay on it um well just because. so there.

ishadohn said...

ahh k k I did it. Go check out my page. Thanks and much love

... said...

Hey Summer...please don't cross me off your theoretical list!

Wow! I don't read your blog enough...I am going to find the time to read it a little closer.

Might do this sinner saved by grace some good!

Thanks

Summer said...

Thanks for reading Mrs. D. Please come back soon or I will have to mark you off my list. Heheheehhe

... said...

I am present and accounted for!